Youth Citizen Police Academy
6th Annual Youth Citizen Police Academy: June 15-19, 2020
Calling all Derby youth ages 14 to 17! Spend a week of your summer in a fun, free, one-week course that will give you an inside look at law enforcement in Derby and the surrounding area. The Youth Citizens Police Academy (YCPA) is designed to educate youth about police department operations and the day-to-day responsibilities of the department.
The 2020 Academy will be held June 15-19 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily at the Derby Police & Courts Building, 229 N. Baltimore. Instructors include Derby police officers who will share insights about their jobs and responsibilities. The Academy is coordinated through the department’s Community Education Unit.
Participants must be:
- Ages 14-17
- Preference is given to Derby residents or students who attend school in Derby, others will be accepted if there are spots open.
- Have no felonies or serious misdemeanors on their record.
- Accepted based on recommendations from a school official, parent, School Resource Officer or adult member of the Derby business community or Derby Police Department.
- Apply online | Print Version
What to expect:
- Building search
- Crime scene investigation
- District Attorney’s Office
- DUI investigations
- Firearms Demonstration
- K-9 Unit
- Officer ride-along
- Police vehicles/uniforms/equipment
- Special Operations Team
- Tours: Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center - Hutchinson, McConnell AFB, Sedgwick County 911
- Traffic accidents & enforcement
- Wichita Police Department Detectives & Mounted Patrol