CDBG-CV Coronavirus Relief Grant Program
The Kansas Department of Commerce recently awarded the City of Derby $132,000 of Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) funding to distribute to eligible businesses in the City. The purpose of this program is to provide communities with funding to help local businesses impacted by COVID-19 to retain jobs for low-to-moderate income people. The grant will help cover business working capital expenses such as inventory, wages and utilities. The State of Kansas has removed many of the traditional CDBG application requirements to expedite the review process. You are not required to provide a business plan, financials, or collateral to secure these grants. This grant program is not a loan and does not require repayment.
Program Guidelines and Requirements Summary
- Businesses are eligible if they have between 1-50 employees and have suffered losses due to COVID-19.
- 51% of employees must fall within the low to moderate income threshold. The low to moderate income threshold falls between Column A and Column C in this chart depending on the number of family members in the household.
- Businesses must not have received COVID-19 disaster assistance from other federal sources, as outlined in the Duplication of Benefits document. It is a duplication of benefits only if the CV funding is used for the same time period and same expenses as other federal funds. Contact staff if you have questions about eligibility, or attend one of the Q&A sessions at City Hall Council Room (611 N Mulberry Rd) Wednesday, July 8, noon – 1 p.m. or Thursday, July 9, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- All funding under this program must be used for "working capital" as defined by the State of Kansas. Working capital includes salaries and wages, purchase of inventory, utilities, rent, insurance payments, etc.
- Costs can be reimbursed back to March 1, 2020 or used for future expenses through the end of the year.
- Complete the application.
- Complete the Employee Certification Form for jobs retained. 51% of the jobs retained/impacted by COVID-19 for a business must be for employees who meet the low to moderate income (LMI) thresholds.
- Certification forms and documentation may be emailed/mailed/or hand-delivered to Marcia Hartman at the City of Derby.
- City will review applications, job certifications, and other relevant application information and then submit approved applications to State of Kansas for authorization to release funds.
- Once approved by the State, City will release funds to business.
- City will require receipts or other proof (payroll records,etc) to verify that funding was used appropriately.
Guidelines, Application and Forms
Duplication of Benefits - businesses are ineligible for CDBG-CV grant funds if they have received one of these benefits. It is a duplication of benefits only if the CV funding is used for the same time period and same expenses as other federal funds. Contact staff if you have questions about eligibility, or attend one of the Q&A sessions at City Hall Council Room (611 N Mulberry Rd) Wednesday, July 8, noon – 1 p.m. or Thursday, July 9, 5:30-6:30 p.m.