Commercial Facade Improvement Program
Eligible Commercial Properties must be located along the K-15 corridor including the West End Development Plan, K-15 Area Plan and Buckner Business District. All applications are subject to available funding and shall be processed on a first come, first served basis. Each property is limited to one grant.
Application Form (This is a fillable form and can be saved to your electronic device to complete the application. Use your tab key or select each form-field to enter the requested information).
View Map of Eligible Area
Submit application and required forms to:
City of Derby
Attn: Marcia Hartman
611 Mulberry Rd., Ste 300
Derby, KS 67037
Questions regarding the program: Contact Marcia Hartman,788-3081, email.
Questions regarding zoning, sign replacement/removal or site plans: Contact Everett Haynes, 788-6632, ext.1230, email.
This program is established as a matching grant in which the City of Derby contributes up to 50% of the cost of eligible improvements. Businesses are eligible to receive up to $5,000 for façade or site-related improvements and can receive up to an additional $7,500 if non-conforming signs are removed, replaced, or repaired. The maximum a single property may receive is $12,500. Minimum grant amount is $1,000 (minimum project cost must be $2,000). For all grant requests over $5,000, a minimum of three quotes must be solicited for the eligible scope of work, and the project must be approved by the City before commencing work.
The goal of the Derby Commercial Façade Improvement Program is to support local businesses through funding for exterior building façade repairs or improvements, replacement or removal of non-conforming signs with conforming signs, sign repair, ADA compliance improvements, and landscaping improvements. The City seeks to encourage businesses and property owners to invest in their buildings by making façade and site improvements on their properties and decrease blight. The improved appearance will make the area more attractive to residents, customers, tenants and new businesses, contributing to the enhanced viability of the entire area.
The building or property must be zoned and used for commercial purposes. Business owners and/or property owners are eligible to receive the grant. Eligible improvements include:
- Sign replacement, removal or repair
- Restoration of the building exterior including but not limited to improvements to the exterior walls or structure
- Replacement or addition of awnings
- Replacement or addition of windows or doors
- Site and exterior lighting
- Site landscaping
- Art installation
- ADA improvements
Grant Cycle and Project Selection
The Commercial Façade Improvement Program will accept and consider applications on a first come, first served basis. Each property is limited to one grant.
To best use the limited funding available, projects will be selected that have the greatest community impact. The following factors will be considered when determining project selection and priority:
- Abatement of City code compliance issues.
- Eliminates or brings a non-conforming sign into compliance.
- Current condition of building or façade.
- Supports revitalization of the West End, Buckner Business District, and K-15 Area.
- Feasibility of implementation within the specified budget and timeframe.
- Commercial Façade Improvement Program information mailed to commercial property owners located in the eligible area.
- Applicants submit Commercial Façade Improvement Program grant application packet to Development Manager.
- Applicants may meet with staff for consultation to discuss and review the proposed project and determine eligibility and the scale of improvements.
- Depending on the scale of the improvement, site plan review and approval by the Planning Commission may be necessary.
- Upon receipt of completed application packages, City staff will:
- Review applications for completeness, schedule and conduct a site visit with the applicant when applicable.
- Schedule meetings with the Community Development Advisory Board to review applications and make recommendations.
- Authorization and funding of a grant will be determined by design criteria and subject to the following conditions:
- All projects must comply with Derby municipal code, building codes, area plans and all other city, state and federal regulations.
- Land use and building permit approvals (if necessary).
- Copy of contracts between the business/property owner and contractor, if applicable. All contractors performing work requiring licensure on the project are required to be licensed by the City.
The following general conditions will apply to all projects:
- All applications are subject to available funding and shall be processed on a first come, first served basis.
- CDAB may waive any requirement or condition on an application at its discretion.
- Improvements funded by the grant must be maintained in good order for a period of at least five (5) years.
Applications will be considered and awarded or denied by the Community Development Advisory Board. The City reserves the right to withdraw any grant awards at any time or for any reason.
Disbursement of Funds
Grant funds will only be disbursed to property owners or businesses upon receipt of a contractor invoice(s) and satisfactory progress observed on the completed work. In-kind work performed by the applicant will not be eligible for reimbursement. All work must be consistent with the approved grant application, and the City must approve any changes in work scope or materials in advance of that work being performed.
Criteria for Non-performance
If a project is not complete one year after grant award date, the applicant will only be reimbursed for expenses that occurred up to that date. If, in the sole discretion of the City, the partial work completed does not significantly achieve the stated goals of the program, no payment will be made.
Commercial Properties along the K-15 corridor including the West End Development Plan, K-15 Area Plan and Buckner Business District locations. View Map.