- City Services
- Fire & Rescue
- Fire Safety
- Fireworks Safety
The following safety tips are recommended by the State of Kansas Fire Marshal and endorsed by the City of Derby Fire & Rescue Department.
Safety Tips for Pets During Fireworks
- Don't bring your pet to a fireworks display.
- If you know from past experience that your pet will suffer from severe anxiety caused by the loud noise of fireworks, you may consider talking with your vet about giving your pet a mild tranquilizer.
- If your pet behaves nervously by pacing, whining, or crying, distract your pet by playing with him/her or doing something he/she enjoys. Don't stroke, pet, or reassure your pet as this may actually reinforce your pet's anxious behavior.
- If your pet will be outside, make sure your pet wears an appropriately fitted collar and an I.D. tag with your current phone number and address. Your pet should also be wearing a current license / rabies tag.
- Keep your pet indoors in a safe and secure room. Turn on a fan, radio, or TV to muffle the sound of fireworks.