Apply Now for the 2021 Youth Citizen Police Academy
Submit the online application
and recommendations to the Derby Police Department by June 25.
Calling all Derby youth ages 14 to 17! Spend a week of your summer in a fun, free, three-day course that will give you an inside look at law enforcement in Derby and the surrounding area. The Youth Citizens Police Academy (YCPA) is designed to educate youth about police department operations and the day-to-day responsibilities of the department.
The 2021 Academy will be held July 19-21 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily at the Derby Police & Courts Building, 229 N. Baltimore. Instructors include Derby police officers who will share insights about their jobs and responsibilities. The Academy is coordinated through the department’s Community Education Unit.
Participants must be:
- Applicants must be 14 to 17 years old and a Derby resident or attend school in Derby.
- Have no felonies or serious misdemeanors on their record.
- Apply at the Derby Police Department or online.
- Accepted based on recommendations from a school official, School Resource Officer, adult member of the Derby business community or Derby Police Department.
- Class size limited to first 20 applicants.
- Mock crime scene
- Court testimony
- Building search
- Crime scene investigation
- DUI investigations
- Firearms Demonstration
- K-9 Unit
- Officer ride-along
- Special Operations Team
- Traffic accidents & enforcement
If you have questions, contact Lt. Tim Nelson at 788.1557 or TimNelson@derbyweb.com.